Wednesday, December 7, 2016

October Portraits for Leafly

I had the opportunity in October to take portraits for Leafly magazine and interview various public officials around the Los Angeles area who were supporting Proposition 64 to legalize recreational marijuana use.
It was an great opportunity that I was so grateful to have. Thanks to Patrick Fallon, a great photographer and awesome person, for passing my name along.

One of the best parts about this, besides being able to work on portraiture (something I consider a weakness), was being paid to travel around my new home out here in California and see places I'd yet to stumble across. So much of my passion for photojournalism rests with its ability to take you places you wouldn't otherwise be and forced interactions with people you may otherwise have never known. 
I was also under tight time constraints with each shoot, which upped the ante for me and was great growing experience. I was pretty pleased when I didn't fall flat on my face.

It was also one of my first actual journalism related pieces I've had published since moving here. Being able to interview the people I photographed on an interesting topic was another great opportunity that I loved. Reporting is cool and I wish I got to do more extended versions of it more often than just captioning photos.

Anyways, blah, blah, blah. Here's a couple frames from each of the shoots. Thanks for giving it my work a peek!

InstagramFollow JustinLStewart on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment